Why is hand hygiene so important?
One of the chief ways germs spread from person to person is through the hands. Cleaning hands removes or destroys any germs picked up by the hands and also reduces the numbers of germs which normally live on the skin. If the hands are not kept clean, germs can spread to other people, to our eyes, mouth, nose or cuts on our bodies.
Germs can also be picked up from objects such as doorknobs and stair railings, touched by many people. Despite the generally held belief that germs causing the common cold are spread through sneezing and coughing, most infections come from hand-to-hand contact.
Why should we keep our hands clean?
Keeping our hands clean is the best way to prevent infection. By frequently cleaning our hands, we remove germs picked up from other people, surroundings and surfaces through hand contact.
Hands can be cleaned with:
- Soap and water
- Medicated alcoholic solutions
- Alcohol-based hand rubs and hand sanitizers
What is a hand sanitizer?
A hand sanitizer represents a revolution in hand hygiene, as it is more effective than soap in eliminating the germs on your hands.
What are the advantages of a hand sanitizer over soap and water?
- Better germ-killing properties
- Takes less time and is easier to use. Washing hands with soap and water takes one to two minutes, whereas, using hand sanitizers requires only 10 to15 seconds.
- Prevents skin irritation and dryness. Many hand sanitizers contain moisturizers and emollients, which prevent skin irritation and dryness.
- Self-drying gels require no soap, water and towel with use, and can be carried easily and used anywhere.
- The use of hand sanitizers eliminates the risk of recontamination from water-borne bacteria, contaminated plumbing systems and contact with dirty taps, wash basins and towels.
When do I use a hand sanitizer?
- For routine hand cleaning
- Before touching an infant or child
- Before eating or handling food
- Before and after attending to a sick person
- During travel or after using public transport
- After contact with surfaces in public places
- After using the washroom or toilet
- After handling animals and pets
- After visiting a hospital or nursing home
- After household chores like cleaning, dusting, handling garbage, etc.
How does a hand sanitizer help to prevent infections in babies or infants?
Babies or newborn infants are constantly touched by visitors. This can potentially spread germs and infection. Your loved ones need protection, so please ensure that a hand sanitizer is used by you as well as visitors before your baby or new born infant is touched or handled.
How do I use a hand sanitizer?
Squeeze approximately 0.5ml (pea-sized drop) of the gel on your palm, then rub well over the palms, back of hands, fingernails and grooves briskly until dry, which takes about 15 seconds. No water is required after use.
You May Try:
PureHands is a hand sanitizer that prevents infection and keeps hands clean and germ-free.